Friday, July 25, 2014

~thrifty thursday~{on friday}

If you follow me on instagram you know that we had a small fire in our kitchen on Wednesday, which is why this post is coming a day late.

Thank goodness we were home and I was able to put the fire out fairly quickly with a fire extinguisher.
We had an electrician out yesterday and they said our new Bosch dishwasher was faulty, which is what started the fire. Our house still smells like smoke, but we are all ok and that is what matters.

Thank you for all your concerns and comments. 
My friend stopped by last night with these gorgeous flowers. They somehow brighten up our stinky damaged kitchen.


Because I have been so busy with this kitchen mess, I didn't go through and edit all the "how to" photos for this thrifty Thursday project.

Basically I went through my studio and found anything I could, wood, metal, etc. that resembled a letter, painted them white and aged them, and used liquid nails to attach them to a painted board or cupboard door.


I cut down dated but ornate picture frames, used floral appliqu├ęs, and door knobs, as well as other misc. goodies.


It was fun coming up with new uses for these objects that I've been collecting over the years.


If I couldn't find materials to make up a letter, I painted wooden letters that I already had.








I will be selling these, along with a ton of more, at the Haley's Cottage French Flea Market on August 2nd, in Kirkland Washington.
I hope to see all you locals there!



xoxo

14 comments:

Lauren @ Bless'er House said...

Oh no your beautiful new kitchen! I'm glad you're okay though. I'm absolutely amazed at this project. So gorgeous and so creative! I think one of my favorite Thrifty Thursdays ever.

Brooke Kroeger said...

I am so, so sorry you have had this happen. I am amazed we have not ourselves. But this little project is just darling! This is just beautiful.... I would love for you to share it at the Home Sweet Garden Party!

See the post here ---->>>
http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/2014/07/home-sweet-garden-722.html

xxx...Brooke

Cynthia said...

So sorry to hear about your kitchen... you would never think a new dishwasher would cause the fire. Be grateful that you all are okay. Love, love, love, your new projects. Its amazing you had all that stuff waiting for this awesome project!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Stacey said...

So glad your kitchen is ok. That's terrifying! Just a reminder not to run appliances when we aren't home.

Your signs are gorgeous. I hope you'll put some on Etsy. :)

Little Farmstead said...

Adore these signs! Sorry to hear about the fire in your new kitchen : ( Glad everyone is alright and that you were home to put it out in time...

AntiqueChase said...

I didn't hear about the fire. How scary! glad you are all okay! and the doggies too!!
Marcy

Anonymous said...

Oh my word!!!

So scary.

Glad everyone is ok.

Sending hugs!!

Heather

Heather said...

So sorry to hear about your fire! And thankfully you are all okay. We have a Bosch too ( that came with our house) and I don't trust it for sure now! I hope you will file a nice lawsuit against Bosch...too many fire stories about Bosch dishwashers.


Heather

vintage girl at heart said...

happy to hear that y'all are all okay! thank goodness you were home and awake.scary.and thank goodness for friends bearing flowers! you have a lovely home.i really enjoy your posts more each time i read your blog.
have a blessed weekend.

SHERRY HART said...

Goodness...your new kitchen:( So glad everyone is safe and hope the damage is not too bad. Cute project!

Little Vintage Cottage said...

So sorry to hear about the fire, I bet that was scary. Glad you were able to put it out before it did too much damage.

I am so in love with those salvage plaques you made, I have to make one now for myself! I knew there was a reason I keep saving odds and ends and bits and pieces! :o)

Tania

Marisa Franca said...

How terrible! Now I'm worried about getting a new dishwasher :-( Thank goodness you're okay and you were there to put out the fire. You're projects are adorable. A creative mind can't be kept down for long.

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

These are gorgeous! But oh my word, you are so lucky you caught that fire!! I am so sorry to hear that, but so glad it wasn't worse. I hope the kitchen isn't too bad, after all that gorgeous hard work. Take care, my friend!

Judy said...

There's a fresh Idea...how smart to use the natural angles or curves of frames and knobs to make letters.

Very inspiring. I am going to look through my pile with a fresh eye.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...