Wednesday, July 23, 2014

~diy letter & number blocks~

Today I want to show you how you can make these fun wood letters in just a few simple steps.


You will need a 1x6 pine board cut into squares.
If you don't have a chop saw, the home improvement store will cut them for you.


I made a large quantity, so I covered my kitchen island to protect the surface and laid them all out.


Next you will need letters, numbers, symbols, etc. to stick on top.
These are from the office supply store.
I have used these in numerous projects.
Make sure they are stuck on really well, and centered. 

{you will need to dust off the surfaces before applying to ensure they stick on well}


Next, using your paint color of choice, paint right over the tops and let dry thoroughly. 
When the tops are dry, flip over and paint the sides and backs.
Once thick coat is plenty on all.


When everything is dry you can peel off the sticker to reveal the raw wood underneath.


Using a palm sander, sand the tops and sides.
You can do this by hand if you don't own a palm sander.

The photo below shows the raw version on the left and the sanded version on the right.
After you sand them all, dust them off again.

Then using a rag, go over the tops and sides 
with Annie Sloan dark wax and let dry.


And that is it!
You can spell out different names, sayings, etc.



To see another project I did with 1x6 pine squares, click here.

xoxo

14 comments:

Little Farmstead said...

I LOVE these Melaine! So trying it! :) Thanks for another great idea!! ~julie

Lynn said...

A Clever & Quick DYI...I sure do love me some letters...
Thanks for sharing !!!

AntiqueChase said...

I love these. I still love both the signs I purchased from you!! If your shop empty right now? I didn't see anything available

Marcy

Brandi said...

I love these! Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial!

Judy said...

What size are your wood squares? it's hard to tell from the photos and you didn't give the size

thanks!

Melaine Thompson said...

Judy, I used 1x6's and cut them in squares

Melaine Thompson said...

It is empty :( I can't keep up!

Melinda said...

Nice DIY! Am so gonna try them. Thank you for sharing, Melaine.

Jen said...

seems simple enough! now just to think of what I want to spell out - thanks for sharing!

heather gilmour said...

These are super cool! So easy and at the same time interesting and beautiful!

End of tenancy cleaners Kensington

T said...

This is on my must-do list. Clever and so simple. The finishing touches are the wow. Thanks!

Sandi@TheVintage said...

So easy, quick and simple. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it
is truly informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels.
I will appreciate if you continue this in future.

Numerous people will be benefited from your
writing. Cheers!

Feel free to surf to my web-site vista verde

mommyto5 said...

Love this project. Does the type of black paint used matter....satin or semi-gloss latex, spray paint, chalk paint, etc? Also, with the dark wax are you wiping off as much wax as you can during the application of it? I'm not familiar with how to use the dark wax. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...